Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Going Bananas


Who doesn’t purchase bananas when their green and still end up with a few over ripe ones in a few days?   No one ever seems to eat the last two or three bananas so they end up turning speckled brown and over ripen.   For a while I was just tossing them in the garbage.  Then I got smart and started peeling them and placing them in baggies to freeze them.  Then I got lazy and stopped peeling them. I just toss them into a Ziploc bag and freeze them.   I have my father-in-law freezing bananas now too.   About once every other month or so, I go to his house and load up on frozen bananas.   I bring them home defrost them and make us both some banana bread for eating and some for gifting.   




Before you throw away that banana, try freezing it. Ripened bananas, although soft and very sweet, are still good for a variety of uses in the kitchen.   You can use them in baking, making smoothies or dipping in chocolate to create frozen pops.   


You can even use the peels.  They make a great fertilizer for rose bushes.  Put the peels in the blender with some water and whir away until they are smooth.   Use this mixture to water your rose bushes. 
Bisquick Banana Bread
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3 bananas (1 1/2 cups mashed)
2 1/3 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray bottom of loaf pan.   In a medium sized bowl.  Mix ingredients in the order they are given.   Do not over mix.  Pour batter into loaf pan.   Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes.   Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool ten minutes in the pan.  Run knife around the edge of the pan and remove to rack to finish cooling.


Notes/Swaps
  • Try toasting a slice and serve with butter.
  • Cut a slice and spread with canned vanilla frosting
  • Use banana bread to make French toast and serve with fresh whip cream




For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above



Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest

 Click this image to subscribe
Subscribe via Email
Join me on Google+
Join me on Google Plus



From the bottom of my heart.............. 

No comments:

Post a Comment