Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Drunken Apple Pie Laced w/Bacon

Every year I am asked to bake a pie for a Baked Items Auction.  It is a fundraiser for the local fire department.  The first year I really didn’t have time to bake from scratch so I cheated. Yep, store bought crust and canned apple pie filling.   I also added a bag of kitchen gadgets to be auctioned off with the pie.  It contained wooden spoons, whisks, apple corer, Pyrex pie dish etc.  The pie was delivered to the auction fresh out of oven.   This pie was a big hit and raised a rather large amount of money at the auction.  Later on, I learned it was won by the village mayor and that his wife wanted a copy of the recipe.  Of course I sent her the quick and dirty details, swearing her to protect the family secret recipe and explaining the long history and nature of said recipe.

The next year, when I was asked to make a pie for the auction again, I repeated the same recipe only adding one minor change to the crust.   I spelled out the word Mayor in pie crust as a pie crust decoration.  Hoping this would entice the bidders to try and win the mayors pie.  It was a success.  

The third year, I again went through all the trouble to make the pie, but missed the auction by one day.   My family enjoyed the pie immensely.   

I have again been asked to make a pie.  So, I have been talking about it for a couple a weeks now.   Thinking I might try adding bacon to my good old secret recipe. People either seem grossed out by the fact of the bacon or gung ho and can’t wait to taste it. 
 

This year, I have decided to kick it up a notch.  My apple pie filling has taken a walk to the local bar for a couple of shots of Evan Williams Apple Orchard Bourbon, while taking a slow fry in a few teaspoons of bacon grease.  I have also swapped out the top pie crust for a crumb topping with fresh crispy bacon bits.

I personally don’t know what those nay sayers are thinking, but it sounds very yummy to me.  Top a slice of this off with a dollop of whip cream and I am good to go.   
 
 

Here is the recipe.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Drunken Apple Pie Laced w/Bacon (recipe will make two pies, one for eating and one for sharing)

Ingredients
2 deep dish pie crust, baked off

Filling
3 cans your favorite apple pie filling
2 tsp. cinnamon
4 tbsp. bacon grease
4 shots, your favorite bourbon

Crumb Topping
1 cup fresh crispy bacon bits
1 cup unsalted butter, really cold, cubed
3/4 cup sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400°.   Bake off your pie crust.   I line my crusts with aluminum foil and fill them with dried beans, baked in the oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and lift out aluminum foil filled with beans.   Let cool.

In small sauce pot on top of the stove,  add bacon grease, cinnamon, bourbon and apple pie filling.  Cook over low to medium heat until thickened.   Pour evenly into two crusts.   Let cool.

Make the topping in a food processor.   Measure in flour, sugar, salt.  Whir a couple of times to mix it up.   Then add cold cubes of butter. Whir until blended and looks like course sand.   Remove to bowl and stir in bacon bits.   Divide evenly and place ontop of pies.   Bake for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

If crust is getting too brown, you can use a pie crust ring or circle of aluminum foil to prevent further browning. 

 
Remove from oven, let cool.  Serve with dollop of whip cream or a side of vanilla ice cream.   

Notes and Swaps
·         Use your favorite pie crust recipe or one purchased at the store
·         Make your own filling or use one from the can
·         Top with a crust or with a crumb topping
·         Use oatmeal in your crumb topping for a different flavor and texture
·         Use your favorite kind of bourbon or other alcohol or none at all




For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above
 


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest
 
 Click this image to subscribe
 
Subscribe via Email
 
Join me on Google+
 
Join me on Google Plus
 
 
 
From the bottom of my heart.............. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment