Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sweet Pickled Jalapenos aka Cowboy Candy


A few years back I made Heaven and Hell Pickles, basically a sweet pickle with some jalapeno slices mixed in.   They were really yummy, pleasing those who like a little sweet and those that like a little hot and spicy.   Made them again this year, but my son said I didn’t put enough jalapenos in.    So, I am surprising him with some full on Sweet Pickled Jalapenos, also known as Cowboy candy.   
 
I researched some recipes on line but found that they range from really absurd recipes with just water and sugar to more difficult recipes with a long list of ingredients.   My favorite recipe is not really a recipe but requires a package of Mrs. Wages Sweet Pickle Mix, white vinegar, sugar and water.    Simple and easy.
 
Notes/Swaps
  • Put these on a hamburger or hot dog
  • Place on top of cracker spread w/cream cheese and jam/jelly
  • Pat dry and put some in your corn bread
 


If you can't find the pickling mix put out by Mrs. Wages you can follow this recipe for sweet pickles.  Just swap out the small cucumbers for jalapeño's
 

Sweet Pickles

Ingredients:

6 pounds pickling cucumbers, ¼ inch slice
6 Tablespoons kosher salt
4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
4 cup granulated white sugar
4 cup white vinegar
2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
6 teaspoons mustard seeds
4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

Directions:

Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1 1/2 hours. Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl.  Mix with hands.  Pack into prepared canning jars.

Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture.  Fill to ¼ inch from top of jar.  Cover with lid and twist ring cap as tight as you can.   Place in hot water bath for 10 minutes.  Remove to cool completely.   Check for unsealed jars when cooled.  Place sealed jars in pantry and unsealed jars (if any) in the fridge (will keep up to 2 weeks).  





For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above
 

 
Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest
 
 Click this image to subscribe
 
Subscribe via Email
 
Join me on Google+
 
Join me on Google Plus
 
 
 
From the bottom of my heart.............. 
 
 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment