Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Nonna's Faggots aka Onion Pie (pronounced Fah-gotz)

This recipe comes from my mother in laws side of the family.   My husband remembers sitting with his grandmother while she made Faggots also known as Onion Pie.   Not a traditional american pie but rather an Italian Pizza Pie. 

She began by making her pizza dough and then turning it into a delicious Pizza Pie by adding the fillings.   I was not able to find any recipe as a starting point on the internet, so I turned to his family  and found a couple of cousins that remember their mother making Faggots.  Wah Lah!  A family recipe to cherish for generations to come.  

Click on photo to open photo. Once open right click to save to your computer for printing later.

The ingredients of onions, oil cured pitted black olives and anchovies sounds very peculiar and unappealing, but don't knock it till you try it.   It is actually quite good as long as you don't over due a good thing.   

Notes and Swaps
I took a short cut and purchased a good pizza dough.   This cuts down on the time to making this recipe. 

In his grandmother's recipe she would lay the anchovies on top of the pizza before covering with the tip dough.   I changed this by stirring them into the onions for more of an equal distribution of flavors.    

Don't add any salt, between the salty anchovies and salty olives you do not need any extra salt.  

Enjoy!





















No comments:

Post a Comment