Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Turn those Weeds into something Delicious

I have never thought of Dandelions as a weed.   I grew up in a family where every spring my father would take us out for a ride and we would forage for Cowslips, ramps,  and young Dandelion plants.   When we got back home my mother would clean them and saute them with a little butter and oil.   After I married my husband, I learned that the Italians liked to add them fresh into green salads.

The Dandelion plant in its entirety can be used for cooking, baking, tinctures, tea, wine and list goes on and on.   With that said, you should heed warnings, that you should research and study their uses and side effects.

On a whim I thought I might try it some in a cake mix and see how it came out.   First, you need to pick some Dandelions flowers.  I only used the flower part of the plant.  Be sure to pick where no one has sprayed the plants with a weed killer or fertilizer.   

Next you need to wash them in cold water to remove the bugs and other debris that may be in there. Set on paper towels to pat dry.   After washing the Dandelion flowers you will need to remove all green parts.   Prepare enough to make a cup of Dandelion tea and enough to add to the cake mix.

You can make dandelion tea from any part of the Dandelion plant.  Tea made with the flower tends to more delicate and sweet than those made with other parts of plant.   If you don't want to make your own you can purchase Dandelion Tea from many stores or online. 

To make the tea from the flower, pick, clean and sort enough of the flower petals to fill a quart jar.   In a small sauce pan or tea pot heat water to boiling.    Poor boiling water over the petals and let steep to your liking.   Once it is to your liking strain out the flower petals and store in refrigerator.  You can then use in the manner of your liking.

For the cake you need one cup Dandelion Tea to replace the water in the cake mix recipe.




Click on photo to open photo. Once open right click to save to your computer for printing later. 






For more recipes click the button above




https://www.facebook.com/BookOfKeepers











From the bottom of my heart.............. 







No comments:

Post a Comment