Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

To Boil or Not To Boil

Not!  After making Southern Fried Corn today I think I prefer the fried way.  Well at least most of the time.  Who can't resist gnawing at corn on cob once or twice through the summer? However, sweet corn can look great fresh from the field but once you have dropped it in the water and cooked it, can come out tasteless and tough.  

One of the biggest no no's for sweet corn is to put it in those plastic shopping bags.  Those darn things wick the moisture right out of the corn and the husk.  Sweet corn is best bagged in a paper bag.  

One of my friends brought 6 ears of corn last night after we had already eaten dinner.   Yup, it was in one of those plastic shopping bags.  Yes, I left it on the counter in the bag overnight.   Experiment in the making.

Lunch time today, I decided to try my luck at Southern Fried Corn.   When I took the corn out of the bag, the bag was wet but the husks were dry.   When I peeled the corn, it was mostly Butter/Sugar corn and it looked good.   I then proceeded to remove the corn from the cob with my handy dandy Sweet Corn Gadget and fry it up in a pan.  It was a success.  The corn came out very tasty.    It was sweet and cooked to aldente stage.


Pamperd Chef Kernel Cutter

This works wonderfully for cutting those kernels off the cob.  



Southern Sautéed Sweet Corn

2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
6 ears sweet corn, corn removed from the cob
Salt and pepper to taste
Drizzle of honey (don't ask, just do it)

Option’s
Bacon grease (instead of olive oil and butter)
Sweet Red Pepper, diced small
Sweet Vidalia Onion, diced small
½ cup heavy cream
 
Directions
Peel and prepare corn by removing the kernels from the cob.   Set aside in bowl.   Also prepare any of the other optional vegetables you are adding.   

Using 10 inch or larger skillet heat oil and butter over medium-high heat.   Add the corn and other vegetables.  Sauté for 4-5 minutes stirring several times until the corn and vegetables are heated through.   Season with salt and pepper to taste before removing from heat to a serving dish.  Drizzle with honey.  Mix to evenly coat.  Serve warm. 
 
 
 
 



For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above
 


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest
 
 Click this image to subscribe
 
Subscribe via Email
 
Join me on Google+
 
Join me on Google Plus
 
 
 
From the bottom of my heart.............. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment