Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Milk Gravy is the base for Sausage and Biscuits, Cod Fish Gravy, Hamburger Gravy or Dried Beef Gravy

This is a recipe from my Mom’s collection.  She was a great cook. She always made delicious food and enough of it to feed a small army. Maybe because she had a small army of her own, there were ten of us kids.   She is no longer with us. God Bless her soul. I have many memories of her preparing and cooking many meals.  She would use this really large copper bottom frying pan and make the best fried chicken in it.  Although I watched her do it many times, I have never been able to duplicate it.   She also cooked many meals in cast iron pans. I remember her showing me how to brown the flour in the cast iron pan to make brown gravy (one of my least favorites).   She was great at making penny pinching meals and milk gravy was a basic recipe that she changed out often to get different flavors.

Sometimes she would add crumbled breakfast sausage for Sausage Biscuits and Gravy.   Other times she would add dried beef for Chipped Beef Gravy and Toast.  Or sometimes she would buy Salted Cod in the little wooden box and make Cod Fish Gravy to have over boiled potatoes.  There were times she even added ground hamburger for a Hamburger Gravy.    I remember all of them being delicious.     So when I was feeling a little nostalgic and missing my momma, I decided to try one of her old recipes.   Today’s choice was her version of Chipped Beef Gravy over Pumpernickel Toast served with spring peas and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and balsamic glaze.  


Chipped Beef Gravy
 
 
Milk Gravy Recipe
 
Ingredients:

1/4 cup pan drippings (bacon drippings or sausage drippings)*
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk or heavy cream  room temperature
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, combine bacon or sausage dripping and flour; stirring constantly until the flour has absorbed all the drippings.  Cook for a few minutes just to cook out the starchy taste.  

Gradually add the milk or cream, stirring constantly until all is added, and cook until the gravy is smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.

At this point you can serve it as is or you can add: 
 
dried beef
pre-cooked breakfast sausage
browned hamburger
Cod fish 

If you are using dried beef or salted cod, be sure to rinse them several times to remove the salt they are packed in. 

Makes enough gravy for 10 to 12 homemade biscuits.

Notes/Swaps

·         You can use the drippings from any meat, but bacon and sausage are the traditional ones used.






For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above
 


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest
 
 Click this image to subscribe
 
Subscribe via Email
 
Join me on Google+
 
Join me on Google Plus
 
 
 
From the bottom of my heart.............. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment