Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Meatloaf vs. Meat Loaf



Insert chuckle here…………………. Have you ever looked up the story of Meatloaf? I just did and the web was flooded with stories of the singer: Meat Loaf. It made me chuckle. As any good researcher would do, I then added the word hamburger to my meatloaf search. Upon choosing Wikepedia I found this on the very first line “This article is about the meat dish. For the singer, see Meat Loaf.” Made me chuckle again.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Meatloaf is a dish of ground meat mixed with other ingredients, formed into a loaf shape, then baked or smoked. The loaf shape is formed by either cooking it in a loaf pan, or forming it by hand on a flat baking pan. Meatloaf is usually made from ground beef, although lamb, pork, veal, venison, and poultry are also used.

So begins my story about Meatloaf (the meat dish, for the singer see Meat Loaf). My mom made a meatloaf which contained: Hamburger, breadcrumbs, eggs, green pepper, and onion. She always made mashed potatoes and brown gravy to go with it. Her brown gravy was always made from scratch which included browning the flour in one of her cast iron skillets. When she was adventurous she would pour a can of Tomato soup or sauce on the top. While it was delicious, my family prefers my mother-in-laws recipe for meatloaf. The ingredients are a little unusual but you can’t beat the smell that comes from the oven while this is baking. You must give it a try and decide for yourself.




Nana’s Meatloaf
Loaf
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
2 large eggs
2/3 cups breadcrumbs
1 cup milk
¾ tsp. poultry seasoning
½ cup onion chopped (optional)
½ cup chopped green pepper (optional)

Glaze
½ cup ketchup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
½ tsp. browning sauce
¼ tsp. mustard

Preheat oven to 350º degrees. Mix loaf ingredients together and place in ovenproof dish. Mix glaze ingredients and smear over the top of the loaf. Bake for 1 hour.

Swaps and Notes

For a large family you will want to double this recipe
I serve this with baked potatoes (because you can throw them in the oven and cook them while the meatloaf is cooking). They both take an hour.




Follow me on Facebook





Or find me on Pinterest





Click this image to subscribe





Join me on Google+





From the bottom of my heart.............. 








No comments:

Post a Comment