Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Monday, August 13, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes


Red vs. Green

I am a big fan of the tomato.  I eat at least one a day.  Love them when they are a ripe deep, dark, red and I love them when they are green.   I enjoy them whether they are vine ripened, heirloom, or in many colors, shapes and sizes.   When I finally made a trip to the farmers market green tomatoes were on the list to find and purchase.  Growing up my family always planted a lot of tomatoes and fried green tomatoes and pickled green tomatoes made the menu at least a couple of times through the summer into the fall months.   I enjoyed them as a kid and as an adult I try to make them at least once throughout the summer.  

The trick to making fried green tomatoes is making sure you cut enough of the ends off. Otherwise it is difficult for the flour and bread crumbs to stay attached to the tomato.





Fried Green Tomatoes with Lemon/Cayenne Mayo

Ingredients
Oil for frying
4 green tomatoes cut into 1/4-inch rings
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup self rising flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 egg
½ cup buttermilk
3-4 tbsp. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch Smoked Paprika

Instructions
1. In a deep-fryer, preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
2. Lay tomatoes on paper towel. Season tomatoes, on both sides, with salt and pepper.
3. Place flour and garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat eggs with the buttermilk and hot sauce. In another dish place the bread crumbs.
4. Dredge tomatoes through the flour, then the eggs, and then through the bread crumbs.
5. Add only a few pieces to the fryer at a time, so they can cook evenly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Drain on paper towels and serve with:

Lemon Cayenne Mayo
½ cup mayonnaise
Juice of ½ a lemon
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. smoked paprika

Mix ingredients together and let set for at least 15 minutes to let the flavors meld.

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.




For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above
 


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest
 
 Click this image to subscribe
 
Subscribe via Email
 
Join me on Google+
 
Join me on Google Plus
 
 
 
From the bottom of my heart.............. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment