Cool Summer Treat....Blackberry Chiffon Pie
1 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
16 ounces fresh or frozen blackberries, pureed (can substitute your favorite fruit puree)
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees if you wish to bake your crumb crust. Baking helps hold the crust together but is not necessary.
- In a 9-inch spring form pan, mix the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Make a well in the center of the crumbs and pour in the melted butter. Using a whisk mix together the crumbs and butter until moistened. Shape the crust with the edge of a cup pressing the crumbs against the bottom and sides of the pan. If you choose, bake the crust for 6 to 8 minutes or until the edges are barely browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixer, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Press your pureed berries through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the pureed fruit and gelatin until dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Allow to cool slightly.
- Fold the fruit mixture into the whipped cream until smooth using a whisk if necessary. Pour filling into the crumb crust. Refrigerate until set for at least 45 minutes. (You can speed up the process by putting it in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.)
Cream Cheese Variation
Whip only 1 3/4 cup of cream, instead of 2 cups, and add 8 ounces of softened cream cheese. Continue beating until fluffy. Continue with the recipe.
Join me on Google+