Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dill Pickle Soup?


Really!   At first thought you might think, "No way."  But after you taste this soup you’ll be thinking, "This is good.  Why haven’t I tried this before now?"
With a family full of pickle lovers I found my self puzzled in answering such a question. We have grown up eating pickles.  Pickles in jars, fried pickles, pickles in our dip, pickles on our sandwiches.  These days you can even get a dill pickle potato chip.  How is it we have never tried putting pickles in our soup.  Seemed like an interesting dish to try.   In researching this recipe I found it is of Polish or Swedish decent.   More notably found in European countries where pickling is popular for storage of all types of fruits, vegetables, and meats. 

This would be a great soup to make for guests, because they would love the flavor and they would be pleasantly surprised to find out the flavor comes from a jar of Polish Dill Pickles.   Like any other recipe there are many different versions.  After researching several recipes I came up with my own.  I hope you like it.  

Dill Pickle Soup

Ingredients
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. oil
1 small onion chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped fine
1 cup carrots, diced
½ cup celery, chopped
3 potatoes, diced
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup dill pickle juice
1 tsp. dried dill
1 cup dill pickles, chopped

Start by sautéing onion in the butter and oil in a soup pot over medium heat.  Add in garlic, celery, carrots, and potatoes.  Continue sautéing for 3-5 minutes.   Add in broth.   Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.    At this point turn down to low heat and stir in pickle juice and heavy cream.   Add in chopped pickle and dried dill.   Cook for another 5-8 minutes.  Serve with crusty bread.   

Notes and exchanges:

·         You can thicken the soup if you like.

·         You can exchange the heavy cream for sour cream.

·         You can grate the pickle or chop it really fine.


My husband thought I was being foolish making such a soup but when it was all said and done he commented that “This is pretty good, tastes a lot better than I thought it would.”  






For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest

 Click this image to subscribe
Subscribe via Email
Join me on Google+
Join me on Google Plus



From the bottom of my heart.............. 





1 comment:

  1. I can't WAIT to make this for me daughter; she'll be beside herself! She loves any kind of soup and pickles.

    ReplyDelete