Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Just a Pinch

Friday, January 6, 2012

Italian Mushroom Stew

Mushroom stew is a staple in every Italian home in our area. Everyone has their own unique way of making their family recipe.   This is the one I like. 





Mushroom Stew
3 pounds loose Italian hot sausage (you can use sweet or medium as well)
3 medium yellow onions, cubed
3 red bell peppers, cubed
3 tablespoons minced garlic
½ cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
2 large packages of sliced button mushrooms
3 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
3 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons black pepper
Thyme to taste
Rosemary to taste
½ cup olive oil for sautéing
1/2 cup dry red wine
Chicken broth to to thin sauce

In a large fry pan add two turns around the pan of olive oil.  Layer sliced mushrooms in single layer.  Cook until brown.  Flip mushrooms and brown on the other side.  Remove to large stockpot. Repeat until you have cooked all of the mushrooms.  In the stock pot, fry the diced onions, diced peppers, and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are clear.  Add the sausage about 1 pound at a time and cook it through. Stir in tomato paste cook for a few minutes. Then add the 3 cans of tomatoes and wine. Finally, add salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and chopped parsley. Stir and simmer uncovered on low for 3 hours. Can add chicken broth if you want to thin the sauce. Serve over rigatoni or ziti, with Pecorino Romano cheese, or alone with a nice loaf of bread.



Notes/Swaps

Sometimes I make this in the crock pot all the same ingredients except I swap out the sausage for chunks of pork butt. Cook it on low for 6-8 hours. I then shred the pork and serve.





For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest

 Click this image to subscribe
Subscribe via Email
Join me on Google+
Join me on Google Plus



From the bottom of my heart.............. 





3 comments:

  1. this recipe looks so good and complete and great for winter.
    Regards
    olga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olga. My family enjoys it, hope you do too. : )

      Delete
  2. Very fabulous looking baked mushrooms,definitely flavourful..

    cubensis spores

    ReplyDelete