Greetings...

Greetings...
Welcome to my little space in the world-wide web. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage, sit down and enjoy your trek. I am not sure what brought you here, but I am glad you came. I hope you find something you like and come back often to visit. Be sure to sign up on the right to recieve all updates via your email.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Aunt Annies Got Nothing On Me


I am sure on one of the many trips to the mall you have stopped in at Aunt Annie's and have enjoyed a soft warm pretzel or two. I admit I have had my share. I prefer the salty kind with mustard on the side, to the sweet with cinnamon and sugar. I have even tried the pretzel jalapeno hot dog. Loved the pretzel jalapeno part, thought the hot dog was very salty. I have even experimented with the frozen kind you make in the microwave. I found them to be okay, but nothing beats a pretzel fresh out of the oven.






Soft Pretzels

Dough
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flours
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of sugar
1 package of active dry yeast (1/4oz) fast rising or regular will work fine
1 cup warm water plus about 3 more tablespoons

Baking Soda Wash
1 cup of hot water
4 tsp. baking soda

Topping
6 tbsp. butter melted
Kosher or sea salt (course)

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees

To bloom the yeast, place yeast in small bowl or cup with warm water and stir until dissolved.  

Place the remaining ingredients for the dough in bowl. Stir in the yeast and water. Mix with a wooden spoon until it pulls away from the side of the bowl. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. The dough should be very smooth, soft and pliable.

When the dough is ready, just pat into a ball and place it in a bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil, cover with cling wrap and put it in a warm dark place let it rise to double the size (takes about 40 minutes to an hour).

Once dough has risen punch it down and roll it out into a 10 x 12 rectangle. Cut into ½ inch strips the long way. Take each strip of dough and roll it out like a rope (just like you used to do with play-doh) making it about 18 inches long. To form pretzel hold each end and twist twice, before lying down on the cookie sheet to form pretzel. Do this with each strip of dough.






Now make the baking soda wash. Dissolve baking soda in water warmed in the microwave. I dip each pretzel into the bowl for about 30 seconds. But you could brush it on it if you like. Place each pretzel on a cookie sheet leaving some space between them as they will rise. Cook for about 8-12 minutes in the oven. Pretzel will be dark in color.




As soon as you take them out of the oven brush them with butter and sprinkle with salt. 




Serve warm with your favorite mustard or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. 


Notes:

Mine did not darken as much as they should have on the top, but were on bottom. I am assuming it was the placement in my oven. Will need to try a higher shelf in my oven.
You could also wrap this dough around your favorite hotdog. Be sure to still dip in the baking soda wash and bake until pretzel has browned.







For more recipes, click the button below:

For more recipes click the button above
 


Follow me on Facebook
 
Or find me on Pinterest
Ma's Aprong Strings on Pinterest
 
 Click this image to subscribe
 
Subscribe via Email
 
Join me on Google+
 
Join me on Google Plus
 
 
 
From the bottom of my heart..............